No deal in fuel talks as matatu strike to continue on Tuesday

0
2
Advertisements

A standoff between the government and stakeholders in the matatu sector remained unresolved on Monday night after lengthy negotiations failed to end the nationwide public transport paralysis caused by the ongoing fuel dispute.

Talks led by Transport Cabinet Secretary Davis Chirchir and Energy Cabinet Secretary Opiyo Wandayi stretched for hours into the evening, but no agreement had been reached by the time both sides addressed the media at around 9:30 p.m.

Advertisements

During a joint press briefing, CS Wandayi initially indicated that progress had been made and suggested the discussions had produced positive outcomes.

However, matatu sector representatives interrupted the briefing, clarifying that no final agreement had been reached.

Advertisements

Stakeholders from the transport sector said there was consensus on addressing fuel adulteration, with proposals aimed at equalising the prices of diesel and kerosene. According to the operators, aligning the prices would help curb the illegal mixing of the two fuels, which has been blamed for the current crisis.

“We have agreed on the part of adulteration that the price of diesel and kerosene be at par. On the issue of diesel prices, that one we have not agreed on and we have scheduled another meeting,” said Kushian Muchiri, Chairperson of the Association of Matatu Transport Owners.

Advertisements

“In the meantime, it is our request that all drivers and vehicle owners continue keeping their vehicles at home. No disruption, no rioting as we await better engagements which will save the economy,” he added.

The government stated that the Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (EPRA) would announce revised fuel prices later Monday night.

Advertisements

Despite the ongoing discussions, the matatu sector maintained its hardline position, signalling that transport disruptions would continue across the country.

Matatu Owners Association President Albert Karagacha directed operators to keep their vehicles off the roads for a second consecutive day on Tuesday until further notice is issued.

Advertisements

The continued strike is expected to worsen the transport crisis that left thousands of commuters stranded on Monday, with businesses, schools, and other essential services heavily affected in several parts of the country.

Advertisements

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here